tagged logodesign

More logos! Apparently February was the month of working on logos and while I’ve had fun, I’ve also realized that logo design is something I appreciate more than I enjoy doing.

Today I’m showing you the progression from the original Wanisionwin game logo to our new logo. My first plan was to just find a new font and then add a texture to it but those all fell flat and by the time we had agreed on a look (#2) I felt it was just too boring. I thought adding the Cree Syllabic to the logo would make it more interesting. The thin version just seemed too weak and the bold version was too strong, making both the roman and the Cree almost unreadable.
To fix this problem I moved the Cree down and then played around with colour and tone to get our final logo, which I like the look of but still feel it’s a little boring. Might be time to find a logo designer who can give me a hand.

Apparently this is the month of logo design, this one however I did in collaboration with Henry Faber of DMG. Indigicade is a joint DMG and Indigenous Routes initiative, the same one I was a part of last year where I created Wanisinowin.
This year I was approached to create a new logo for the programe.

The first is the sketch of my original idea, I wanted to take Woodland Style methods and meld them with a more digital look for the second half. You can see in the next image that’s essentially what I did but as logo design is not something I had studied all I could tell was that it just didn’t look right.
That’s where Henry stepped in. In the third version you can already see that with the use of the new font for ‘icade’ the logo becomes more balanced but in creating that balance the connection between ‘Indig’ and ‘icade’ becomes cut off, literally as the line of communication has been disconnected.

So I asked Henry to merge our ideas for the first ‘i' in the 'icade’ section. What we ended up with was the third version. Even though it was closer to what I imagined it still didn’t feel right so I moved the connecting line so that it connected with the corner instead of slightly to the side and I gave it a rougher squiggle more in keeping with the first half of the logo. After I realized that the line had been too thin the entire time, so I thickened it a little and I’m pretty happy with the finally result.

Now I just need to wait for final approval!

I think I’ve found the direction I really wanted to go with this. I wanted to keep the overall look of the Sheridan S but with more of a hand drawn feel to it. I think I’m getting closer!

I find that logos really are a huge part of selling an idea to a client. It seemed weird to me at first, I mean the real meat of the project is in the actual game, but I started to realize that a logo is a quick (though not easy by a long-shot) way of summing up what your game is.

Here I’m playing around with a few designs . I’m not crazy about them but it’s a first step in the direction I want to go. I’m limited by the school’s brand standards, but at least I don’t have to pick from a million fonts and it allows me to focus on the @ as my indicator of what the game is. I mostly looked to Simon Dean’s Designing Game Logos article on Gamasutra to help inform my direction.

Every font says something. In my examples above I’ve tried a few types for the at symbol. The first is round and soft, it looks casual but neat. The second is a little sharper looking, it speaks to a more professional look, less student friendly. The third is thicker, looks more like it was made with a marker. It’s causal and bold. With these first three I’ve woven the at-symbol through the two words to show how the game is about integrating life (as you know it now) with post-secondary school life.

The last is an 8-bit style, I don’t really like this one because I think it sets up an expectation that the game will be 8 or 16-bit style which is not what I’m going for.
I will probably come to an entirely different conclusion once I get some feedback on the designs.